Stay Cool and Worry-Free this Summer!
As summer is starting and temperatures are rising, it is important to remember to keep yourself and your animals cool and comfortable. Before leaving the house for a long day of outdoor activities, make sure you are prepared for the weather and any problems it might bring. Here are a few tips to keep both you and your animals cool during the summer:
- Pack extra water for both of you! Stores such as Henry and Rumble Canine Outfitter sell on-the-go, lightweight doggy bowls making it easy to travel and keep your pets hydrated.
- Watch for humidity and heatstroke. Beware of heavy panting, red eyes, rapid heartbeat, difficulty breathing, extreme thirst, lethargy, lack of coordination, abundant salivation, and a deep red or purple tongue. If any of this occurs, move your pet into the shade or an air-conditioned area. Make sure to apply ice packs or cold towels to the head, neck, and chest or run cool water over them for relief.
- Limit exercise to early morning or evening hours on those extra-hot days. Start or end the day with a brisk walk or trip to the dog park in order to enjoy the weather without suffering from the heat.
- Never leave your pet in the car. Not even with the car running and air conditioner on. Babies aren't safe in there and neither are pets!
- Swim! Take your pup to the lake, river, or even set up a kiddie pool to cool off in. They'll have fun in the water and you can take advantage of an outdoor photoshoot!
- Allow your furry friend to check the weather on their own. Their instincts will let them know whether to stay inside or enjoy the outdoors.
- Utilize cooling wear. Henry and Rumble Canine Outfitter offer cooling vests or mats to keep your critter cool and refreshed. Come in store or check out our online options!
- Jeff Vander Berg